We offer more than a hand out, a "Way Out" and a hand up!
Hope in the City is an outreach arm of Hope Lighthouse Ministries
(HLM). Hope Lighthouse is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that has
been working with the needy, the homeless, ex-prisoners and at risk
children in the Muskegon and Muskegon Heights area of West Michigan
Annual Thanksgiving Dinner & winter coat giveaway
We are an inner city mission center in a high crime, drug and poverty area, working to make a difference in the quality of life for those we minister to. We partner with other agencies, churches, businesses and individuals to meet people's needs on many different levels. We are open to all, regardless of race, gender, religious preference, etc. We have seen many lives changed, over the years, by first meeting their individual and family needs.
Dinner, live music, fellowship and dignity
• We serve about 500 families per month in our food and clothes pantries in downtown Muskegon Heights
• We provide needy families with good used furniture, appliances and household goods as we are able.
• Every Thanksgiving we have a dinner for over three hundred neighbors in need and give away about 300 winter coats and accessories.
Kids summer outreaches
• We work with hundreds of at risk children all year through our Kids Clubs, our “Kids Week” each summer and our “Hope For Kids” Christmas program each year. We provide back-packs filled with school supplies, each August at the start of the school year for 150 to 300 kids.
• We also work with the Muskegon Child & Family Services 'You-Turn' program for troubled teens that have been expelled from school. They have alternative classes at Child & Family Services and they come to us a couple days a week to work within our ministry doing community service.
Men's live-in discipleship program
Since 2001 we have had nearly 100 men go through our 6 month to 1 year,
live-in, discipleship program.
Men coming out of prison, off the streets and off addictions, who are serious about changing their lives come to us. Our plan is to put into place; biblical policies, guidelines and requirements for living in the discipleship homes, growing in Christ and eventually moving forward. Our intent is to disciple those with a desire to have accountability in their lives, become valuable people of integrity in their community, and to walk with God through the knowledge of Jesus Christ.